QuietStove.com

Wednesday, January 3, 2018

The New MSR Windburner Remote Canister Stove – Review Supplement

MSR has come out with a remote canister version of their popular Windburner stove.
The new remote canister version of the MSR Windburner 
I've posted a full review of the new remote canister Windburner on the SectionHiker.com website.

This blog post is a review supplement where I will post extra photos and a chart of weights that didn't make it into the review.


Chart of Weights



The new burner is about 52 grams/1.8 ounces heavier than the original.  Interestingly, the new burner packs down into about the same amount of space as the original.

Note that the original canister stand weighs 0.6 oz, and the canister stand on the 1.8 L version weighs 0.7 oz.  One would not need to take a canister stand with the remote burner, so the real difference between the two is about one ounce – if you typically bring the canister stand.  I personally don't always bring the canister stand on the 1.0 L version, but I typically do bring the canister stand on the 1.8 L version.


What's the difference?  

What's the difference between the original burner and the new remote burner?  Well, take a look at the photo below.  The original burner, left, is an upright (top mounted) type burner that screws directly onto the canister.  The new burner, right, is a remote type burner that is connected to the fuel by a hose.
Original upright burner, left.
New remote burner, right.
A remote style burner sits a lot lower, especially on larger sized fuel canisters, and is generally more stable.  A remote burner can support larger pots.  Notice in the below photo how much lower the remote burner sits.
Left:  New remote burner, with 2.5 L pot.
Middle:  Original burner with 1.0 L pot
Right:  Original burner with 1.8 L pot
With the introduction of the remote burner are two new pots, a 2.5 L and a 4.5 L pot, both pots that are much larger than would be practical on the original burner.  However, any Windburner pot will fit on any Windburner stove.  MSR will continue to offer both the original upright burner and the new remote burner.  Also introduced is a new Windburner frying pan with a ceramic based non-stick coating.  The 2.5 L pot also has the non-stick coating.  In my cooking, I have to say that the non-stick feature really works well.

Mix and Match
As I said, any Windburner pot (or pan) can be matched with any Windburner stove.  It's up to you to decide which combinations are practical.  In the below photos, I've swapped the 1.8 L and the 2.5 L pots, placing the 1.8 L pot on the remote burner and the 2.5 L pot on the upright burner.

I'm not sure how many people would put the 2.5 L pot on the original upright burner, but the 1.8 L pot on the new remote burner is definitely a winner.  MSR will be selling this combination, the 1.8 L pot with the remote burner, as a standard set – although you can still buy the 1.8 L pot with the original burner if you prefer.
Here, I've switched the 1.8 L pot (left) over to the remote burner.
The 2.5 L pot (right) is now on the original burner.
Firesteel
Several people have asked, "can I use a firesteel to light the stove?"  Yes, absolutely.  In fact, the wide burner of the Windburner is just absolutely perfect for use with a fire steel.  The rim around the burner helps retain the gas at the burner head and helps funnel the sparks right into the burner.  The Windburner is one of the easiest gas stoves that there is to light with a firesteel.

Incidentally, MSR makes a really nice firesteel, a firesteel I actually prefer over the Light-My-Fire brand.  MSR's lanyard is longer and easier to use.  Light-My-Fire's lanyard always seems to be just a tad too short which I find aggravating.  MSR's lanyard is long enough to slip it over one's neck while working around the "kitchen" area of one's camp, which I find convenient.
A fire steel is the perfect way to light a Windburner.
The fire steel shown here is the excellent MSR firesteel which I actually prefer over Light-My-Fire.
Who wants it?
Well obviously groups.  The new remote burner will support a 2.5 L and even a 4.5 L pot.  For any use other than snow melting, I generally recommend about 750 ml capacity per person (I recommend 1.5 L capacity per person for snow melting).  Thus, the 2.5 L pot is more than adequate for three people and would do for four if you were just doing simple cooking (i.e. just boiling water type cooking).

The 4.5 L pot would be suitable for up to six or seven people.

Not only would groups want the larger pots but also families with children, Scout groups, or any group that wanted a more stable pot set up than the tall original burner provides.
The new remote burner provides a stable cooking platform for the more junior hiker.

Cooking ability
I mention it in the full review, but I just want to reiterate that the new 2.5 L pot on the new remote style Windburner is an excellent cooking system.  On New Year's Day, I made a really nice, fluffy frittata using nine eggs.  It's hard to get a frittata with nine eggs cooked all the way through without burning the bottom.  The new Windburner with 2.5 L pot did an excellent job of it.  The new remote burner with the new 2.5 L pot (or the optional frying pan, sold separately) is a greatly improved cooking system, a system upon which one can do some real cooking.  It may not be the ultimate Gourmet set up, but it does a danged good job on things beyond just boiling water.

As always, thanks for joining me,

HJ


Appendix I – Product Information and Technical Details

Manufacturer: MSR, a division of Cascade Designs.
Date available: Currently available.
MSR Website: http://www.cascadedesigns.com/MSR
MSRP: $199.99 (USD)
Stated Weight: 598 g/21.1 ounces
Measured Weight: 598 g/21.1 ounces
Materials: Aluminum pot with steel (primarily) burner.
Burner Dimensions:  9 cm/3.5" tall, 9.5 cm/3.75" wide. (Packed)
Pot Dimensions:  15 cm/6" tall, 18 cm/7" wide – with approx. 1 cm (0.4”) additional for pot handle hinge.
Size/Model tested: 2.5 L/84 fl. oz.  pot with remote type burner.
Requirements: A standard threaded canister of gas (sold separately).
Warranty info: See MSR website, above
Colors Available: Gray


Disclosures
The stove in this review was provided at no cost to me by Section Hiker with the understanding that I would review the stove as I saw fit, in other words, with no restrictions or preconditions.  I have reviewed the stove accordingly.  Neither I myself nor Adventures in Stoving have any financial relationship with MSR, the manufacturer of the equipment reviewed.  In addition, I receive no remuneration for the writing of this review nor do I receive any benefit from the sale of any stove discussed in this review.



18 comments:

  1. Hi. Just letting you know your second image is not displaying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh. Thanks for saying something.

      It shows in Chrome but not Safari. What browser are you using?

      HJ

      Delete
    2. Google Chrome on a Mac Version 63.0.3239.84 (Official Build) (64-bit) It is the image under Chart of Weights.

      Also not showing in Firefox Quantum.

      Delete
    3. Fascinating. Well, I've changed it out with a new image, brought in externally as a jpg. Hopefully that will work. Previously I just did a copy and paste into Blogger.

      Thank you very much for letting me know!

      HJ

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Super. Thank you again for saying something.

      HJ

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the review, Jim!
    When I first heard of this new system half a year ago I was hoping there would be a heat exchanger which I started to love on various pots. Unfortunately, they don't. Nevertheless, it's an excellent burner.
    Although, the Primus pots share 3L capacity, a heat exchanger and similar weight. Maybe time for MSR to take a look around?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm still a little surprised that they eliminated the heat exchanger on the 2.5 L pot since that's been a signature feature of the system. They do have 1.0, 1.8, and 4.5 L pots. That 4.5 L pot has got to be a big beast.

      Primus is making some very nice stuff with their Eta Power series.

      HJ

      Delete
  4. A fun coincidence as I suggested this to MSR some time ago; a remote canister version of the Windburner. I'm however extremely disappointed that it can't be run in inverted mode. I kind of thought that as the major advantage with a remote canister stove. This product is a pass for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a lot of people have been asking MSR for a remote version of either the Reactor or the Windburner -- primarily so that they could invert the canister. I think a lot of people are surprised that they didn't create the ability to run with the canister upside down. There is talk that liquid feed gas (the gas is still in compressed liquid form when running with the canister upside down) will not work with a regulator valve.

      HJ

      Delete
    2. IMHO, inverted canister is much more important than regulation with a remote canister stove. I think MSR missed the mark here.
      -Knotty

      Delete
    3. Yeah, why not use a simpler and less expensive conventional valve? A conventional valve, with a remote canister stove that can handle an inverted canister, will actually give better cold weather performance. Perplexing.

      HJ

      Delete
  5. @Esrhan: I think Coleman Fyrestorm PCS is what you're looking for ... available only in Europe, both UK and DE Amazon sites have good reviews of it. Preheat tube, S0to-like windproof burner, but a little heavy overall.

    ReplyDelete
  6. sorry for such a dumb question but this can't be run with a regular butane catridge style canister can it? are there any stoves that can be? impressed with this and the sotos but limited access to butane canisters here

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, my son is a combat soldier in the Israeli army and wants a stove to mostly boil water for coffee but possibly for quick meals for 1 or 2 people. Cold weather isn’t much of an issue here, gas cannisters are easy to find, it can be windy at times, quicker boil times are important. I’m leaning toward the Kovea Spider but would appreciate feedback and suggestions. Also, I’d appreciate suggestions for cookware that the stove nicely is transported in. Thanks so much, David Greene - Jerusalem, Israel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, David,

      Thanks for writing. Is your son a foot soldier? In other words does he have to carry whatever stove he chooses on his back? (in which case weight and size are at issue)

      If weight and size are not overly critical and wind is an issue, I would recommend the Windburner. It's a bit expensive, but it is extremely windproof. I think the 1.0 L size would probably be the most suitable, particularly if he's primarily just making coffee. If he gets the French press attachment, then it's perfect for making coffee, and everything fits inside the pot assembly. I think it would be just what you're looking for.

      You could go lighter, but then he wouldn't have a solution that is so perfectly designed to all next together.

      There are my thoughts. I hope that helps,

      HJ

      Delete
  8. People always praise the “windproof” design of the MSR stoves. I just wanted to say that that is a double edged sword. The problem with these stoves is the actual lighting of the flame for which the pot needs to be removed. We recently were in really windy conditions and the stoves with piezo ignition that could be used with the pot on proved to be quicker overall while we really strugggled to get the Windburner going (wasted a lot of gas)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Had you noticed the similarity between the Windburner and the old Gerry Infrared burner? I've had a Windburner for some time, but had not gotten it out or used it until recently. I still like the Amicus for light weight and wind resistance.

    ReplyDelete

My apologies to real people, but due to Spammers I have to moderate comments. I'll get to this as rapidly as possible but do understand that I like to hike and there's no internet in the wilderness. Take care and stove on!